Posted by Current Insurance in Home maintenance | 0 comments
Preventing costly and inconvenient leaky roofs and flooded basements is important for every homeowner. Follow these tips to reduce the chances of damage to your home, inside and out.
1. Make sure eavestroughs are clear of debris. Ensure that water can drain properly by regularly clearing out leaves and other debris that builds up over time.
2. Check that downspouts are directing water away from your home. Install extensions and splash pads that will direct water at least 2 meters from your home.
3. The roof is one of the most important elements of your home, and having it work properly is essential to preventing costly damage. A general rule of thumb is to replace your roof every 15-20 years. Performing maintenance on shingles when needed will also help prevent costly leaks.
4. Monitor your home for the tell-tale signs of water damage to make sure problems are resolved before significant damage occurs. Signs of damage include water stains, cracks, mould and mildew, or damp and musty smells.
5. Have someone come in and check on your home if you plan to be away for a few days. Ask them to check for water damage in the basement and around the ceilings.
Are you insured for the unexpected? We have competitive rates and options. Contact us for a quote.